Like every year, the European Women’s Lobby (EWL) will take part to the 61st session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (13-24 March). EWL membership is very active during CSW61, organising side events and influencing the negotiations on the Conclusions which should be adopted by the UN member states at the end of the session.
This year’s priority theme is “Women’s economic empowerment in the changing world of work” and the emerging issue is ’The empowerment of Indigenous women”. Ahead of CSW61, the EWL had sent, together with its members, a joint statement highlighting the situation of women domestic workers. We have also made comments on the zero draft of the conclusions.
During CSW, the EWL is organising two events :
- A side event co-organised with Belgium and Iceland, on “The Nordic Model on prostitution: a key step to ensure girls’ and young women’s economic empowerment”, on Wednesday 15 March, 8.15-9.30am, in conference room 8 of the UN.
- A parallel event co-sponsored by NAWO Youth, Unizon, Wagggs, the European YWCA and Rights4Girls, on “#HerFuture: Challenges & opportunities for girls’ and young women’s economic empowerment”, on Wednesday 15 March, 2.30-4pm, at the Salvation Army (downstairs).
Other EWL members’ events:
- NAWO (UK) organises a series of events, to be soon on their dedicated webpage.
- The Swedish Women’s Lobby organises an event on “Underpaid and Undervalued – What a Way to Make a Living“ on Tuesday 14 March, 6.15-7.45pm
- “Diverse, Resilient and Viable – Empowering Women through the G20“ with the National Council of German Women‘s Organizations, on Monday 13 March, 1.15-2.30pm
- “Women’s Economic Empowerment in Lusophone Countries“ organised by the Portuguese Platform for Women’s Rights, 16 March, 2.30-4pm, Armenian Center
EWL Secretariat members will also be speaking at:
- “A year of focused actions to combat violence against women and girls“, an event of the European Commission, on Wednesday 15 March, 1.15-2.30pm, Un conference room 2
- “Trading on the Female Body“ on Tuesday 14 March, 1-3pm
* “Supporting feminist movement building for Planet 50-50 by 2030“ on Friday 17 March, 5-8pm
- “Women Doctors: Economic Empowerment and Social Determinants of Health”, organised by MWIA, Wednesday 15 March, 12.30-2pm, Hardin room Church Center
EWL will take part to the EU-briefing, and will co-facilitate the meetings of the caucus for Europe and North America:
- Wednesday 15 March, 6.15-7.45pm, Boss room Church Center
- Monday 20 March, 6.15-7.45pm, 2nd floor Church Center